Check out this sweet new iPad App that was just released for free, it called Talkboard. It’s currently iOS only, so if your organization is one that uses iPads this could be a handy App for collaboration.
It’s been a while since I posted anything about GoToMyPC and mobile Apps, there have been some great updates so I thought it was time for another look.
For those of you who are not familiar with GoToMyPC, it allows you to connect and control your Windows PC or Mac from another location. You can use another PC or Mac, or you can connect using free Apps available for iOS and Android. Unlike some other solutions out there, GoToMyPC shows you the actual desktop of your Computer (called a Host), and lets you launch and control applications just as if you were sitting there.
If you are like me, trying to balance a busy work schedule with my day to day life, you know it’s sometimes hard to tear yourself away from your computer. With the availability of smartphones and tablets, along with WiFi hot spots, it’s finally easier to leave the office and still be available should you be needed.
Getting started is simple, even if you don’t already have an account. Visit www.gotomypc.com from the computer you are wanting to connect to from another location, sign up for a 30 day free trial and install the Host software (you can cancel the trial easily online at anytime). The next step is to download the App for your device.
Once installed, launch the App and login using your Email address and the account password you created (choosing to save the password will make your next session even quicker). Tap on the Host computer you want to connect to and enter the access code (secondary password), you created when you installed the Host software.
Once you connect you’ll see a list of the available gestures you can use, don’t worry if you closed this window right away as you can always summon it back using the tool bar menu. There are a couple of minor differences between the iOS and Android Apps, mostly where things are displayed on the tool bar.
The real fun starts once you connected to your Host, you can pinch to zoom in up to 300%, this makes navigating around your dual monitored Host relatively easy, even on a 4 inch smartphone screen. Rather than drag the mouse icon around the screen, just tap on the screen where you want it and then use pinch to zoom to be more precise. You can launch applications on your Host and operate them normally, navigate Excel spreadsheets, check webcams and security cameras and even print payroll checks.
Typing can be done via the onscreen keyboard, if you use iOS use this method to use the built in spell check:
- Hit abc on the keyboard and type an unlimited amount of text, then hit send to send it to your host. This enables you to use the built in spell check.
Another fun option is to dictate using the text using these two methods:
- Use Siri if you have an iPhone 4S or 5: Place the cursor where you want the text, summon the keyboard, tap ABC and then the microphone icon. Tap done when finished.
- Use Google voice to dictate text on Android: Place cursor where you want the text, summon the keyboard and tap the microphone icon.
If you have a Bluetooth keyboard for your iPad or Android tablet, you can use it to type and virtually replace the need of a laptop.
Finally, here are a couple of tips for my fellow Android users out there:
Pick up one of these mini Bluetooth keyboards with the built in track pad, when you connect to your Host via the GoToMyPC App you will have full the control of the mouse pointer! My second tip is for those of you upgrading your Android device soon, consider picking up the Samsung Galaxy Note II, also pictured above. GoToMyPC recognizes the S Pen when you remove it from its dock and gives you the following functionality:
- Jump Navigation – Hover over the screen and press and release the S Pen button to see the entire desktop. Then tap where you would like to jump to and it will zoom.
- Hover or Tap – Hover with the pen to show tool tips or perform other actions triggered by hovering. Use the precision of the pen to easily tap or press small items.
- Press and Drag – Press and hold for a moment and then drag in order to drag-select or move items.